Walsham overcome stubborn Brantham
OMNICO CUP SOCCER: Brantham 0 Walsham le Willows 2. It looked a formality, Walsham unbeaten in the SIL this season taking on an inconsistent Brantham who are struggling to maintain senior status.
Omnico Cup Quarter Final
Brantham 0 Walsham le Willows 2
IT looked a formality, Walsham unbeaten in the SIL this season taking on an inconsistent Brantham who are struggling to maintain senior status.
In fact, it took an 89th minute moment of calmness by Walsham player/manager Paul Smith to ease the favourites deservedly through to the semi final.
Twice in the first half N Wallis the Walsham striker hit the Brantham woodwork with good efforts. Smith, unmarked opened the visitors' account with a copy book header into the far corner following a right wing cross on 21 minutes.
Brantham hit back with two good efforts from Carey while Taylor was stopped by a last-ditch tackle from L Wallis.
- 1 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 2 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 3 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 4 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 7 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 8 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 9 Town to gather to remember flood victims 69 years on
- 10 New 'grab and go' vegan café on Ipswich Waterfront set to open in spring
Walsham wasted two free kicks early in the second half while Parker, the Brantham keeper, twice did well on the crowded goal line.
Brantham, through Taylor twice, had clear chances but Mustoe was there to get down to shots that lacked real venom.
L Wallis saved the day on 81 minutes with a great goal line clearance after the elusive Taylor had beaten Mustoe with a looping header.
Carey had a spectacular overhead kick scraped past the post and Marks had a volley brilliantly saved by Mustoe. In-between came the clinching goal from Smith. A cool dribble round the keeper after Brantham had been caught decisively on the break.