Wark: Tommy is spot on
IPSWICH legend John Wark today saluted 100 per cent penalty king Tommy Miller but warned: “The job will get tougher!”Miller, on target from the spot in Town's last two games, has an unblemished penalty record - earning him 23 goals.
IPSWICH legend John Wark today saluted 100 per cent penalty king Tommy Miller but warned: “The job will get tougher!”
Miller, on target from the spot in Town's last two games, has an unblemished penalty record - earning him 23 goals.
Half of the 25-year-old midfielder's 12 goals this season have come from the spot, making a career split of nine for previous club Hartlepool and 14 since his £750,000 move to Portman Road in 2001.
Wark, 47, netted 56 times from 62 penalties during his three spells with the club, an all-time high.
He said: “Tommy's is a fabulous record and long may it continue, but my experience was that it got more difficult, not easier, the longer I did the job.
“I found myself coming up against the keepers I'd scored against before and sometimes I would get into two minds about where I should put the ball.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 5 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 6 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 7 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 8 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 9 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 10 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
“I would be thinking 'this guy knows my style' and as I ran up I would change my mind. That was a big mistake.
“All six of the penalties I missed were as a result of changing my mind as I ran up to kick the ball.”
See tonight's Evening Star for full story