Warn earns Derbyshire debut
CRICKET: Suffolk wicketkeeper-batsman Chris Warn today made his debut for Derbyshire when he was selected to face the Indian touring side at Derby.Warn has played a couple of second XI games Derby, including one last week.
By Elvin King
SUFFOLK wicketkeeper-batsman Chris Warn today made his debut for Derbyshire when he was selected to face the Indian touring side at Derby.
Warn has played a couple of second XI games Derby, including one last week. With injuries to a couple of their regular keepers, Warn, who plays for Bury St Edmunds, has been called up.
He therefore misses Suffolk's Cheltenham and Gloucester Trophy 2003 first round match against Buckinghamshire at Dinton tomorrow.
Andrew Mawson, who keeps wicket for Teddington, will play behind the stumps. With overseas player Andrew Hall with the South African A side, Suffolk have decided not to go for a star player.
- 1 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 2 Application submitted for new store in Ipswich
- 3 'My darling boy' - Mum's tribute to six-month-old baby who died after crash
- 4 Ipswich man who abandoned Land Rover on train tracks convicted
- 5 Ipswich man and Cadillac films with The Only Way Is Essex
- 6 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 7 60 year old family business enters third generation
- 8 Go-ahead for business park project that could create 350 jobs in Ipswich
- 9 Matchday Recap: How Town's 1-0 win at Burton unfolded
- 10 Drug dealers jailed after police seize cocaine from van and home
Bill Athey was considered, but he has played little cricket this summer. Suffolk coach Andy Brown said today: "There were no star players who could have enhanced our squad.
"The lads did well in the Minor Counties Championship and the spirit is good. We are in a good state and it would have been rather a desperation move to opt for Bill."
The winners of tomorrow's game play Shropshire on September 12 with the winners of that match meeting a first class county in the third round next May.
Suffolk team: P Caley, A Brown, R Catley, M Catley, A Mawson, C Swallow, I Morton, T Smith, K Shaw, P King, G Kirk.