Warriors scoop treble
SOCCER: Ipswich Warriors won the double in 2000/01. Last season they went one better and enjoyed a treble success.The Under-18 side which plays its home matches at Ipswich Wanderers' ground in Humber Doucy Lane has now won the Ipswich and Suffolk Youth League and Cup double for two years running.
By Elvin King
IPSWICH Warriors won the double in 2000/01. Last season they went one better and enjoyed a treble success.
The Under-18 side which plays its home matches at Ipswich Wanderers' ground in Humber Doucy Lane has now won the Ipswich and Suffolk Youth League and Cup double for two years running. This season they added the Open Cup.
But the success will come to an end as the club will not move up to adult football.
Assistant manager Mick Barter said: "A mixture of careers and university mean the side will not continue. It would be hard to find another squad with the same team spirit.
"We set our sights on going one better this time round and managed to do that. Over the last two seasons we have not been beaten at home and have only lost two league matches.
- 1 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 2 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 3 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 4 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 5 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 6 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 7 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 8 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
- 9 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 10 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
"This season we were unbeaten in the league scoring 107 goals and conceding just 19 from 18 games. In the KO Cup we beat Felixstowe 1-0 in the final and in the Open Cup we beat Whitton Sports Club 4-2.
"The lads have been a joy to work with and myself and coach Steve Wardley have been proud to have been associated with them."
Every outfield player contributed at least one goal last season with Robbie Bird the leading scorer with 37 goals.
WINNERS: Ipswich Warriors celebrate after winning the Ipswich and Suffolk Youth League and Cup double as well as the Open Cup. Back row (from left): S Wardley
(manager/coach), M Long, M Bone, R Wardley, I Robinson, S Benneworth, B Ward, K Harley, M Barter (assistant manager). Front row: C McCarthy, R Wardley, B Arnold, L Halsall, D Carr, R Bird, M Barrell.
Picture: JOHN HALSALL