Wasteful Suffolk come good in the end
SOCCER: Suffolk Under 19s 2 Norfolk Under 19s 1. Suffolk Schools made hard work of beating Norfolk in this Corinthians Casuals Trophy Under 19 League match at the Ipswich Town training ground.
Suffolk Under 19s 2 Norfolk Under 19s 1
Suffolk Schools made hard work of beating Norfolk in this Corinthians Casuals Trophy Under 19 League match at the Ipswich Town training ground.
If all the chances were taken, especially in the opening 30 minutes, Suffolk would have been home and dry by the interval.
In the early stages the Norfolk goal bore a charmed life with the only score coming after 16 minutes. Marc Wake delivered a fine pass into the danger area where Stewart Logan neatly beat the advancing goalkeeper.
At least six other efforts either flashed narrowly off target or were kept out by desperate defending and it was completely out of the blue when Norfolk equalised against the run of play in the 41st minute.
Suffolk were caught out at the back as Tom Parks broke clear before rounding goalkeeper Paul Cudworth for an excellent solo goal.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 3 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 4 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 5 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 6 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 7 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 10 Inquest into death of 32-year-old woman in Barham crash postponed
The second half was far more even and as the game progressed it began to look as if Suffolk were going to rue not making the most of their earlier domination.
However, it all came good in the 78th minute when a free kick was awarded 20 yards out. Paul Allen took the kick which was pushed out by diving goalkeeper Simon Nobes and Marc Lucchi netted the loose ball.
Ten of Suffolk's starting line-up came from West Suffolk college with Jamie Challis being the odd man out as he came from Castle Manor in Haverhill.
Suffolk team: Cudworth, Oman, Allen, Lucchi, Sim, Pemberton, Smith, Wake, Proctor, Logan (all West Suffolk college), Challis (Castle Manor). Used subs: Claydon (Thurleston, Ipswich), Miller and Thorogood (both West Suffolk College). Unused Subs: Trevivian (Suffolk College), Kent (West Suffolk College).