Westerfield frustrated by Haughley

SIL SOCCER: All the latest news and reports from the weekend's matches in the SIL.


Westerfield United 0 Haughley United 0

THE game finished with the honours even although Westerfield will feel the most frustrated that they didn't capitalise on their opportunities.

The Swans strike force of Godfrey and Sandilands regularly stretched a depleted Haughley side which went so close in last season's championship.

Haughley often looked majestic but they were flattered to be still in the game following strong openings to each half by Westerfield.

Godfrey was one on one twice with the keeper and failed to beat the visiting keeper with three excellent headers. Smith and Lynch both skied chances when the ball fell to them at the far post.

Most Read

The best Haughley could offer saw Kidd and Noller link to release Finch only to see his clip shot over the advancing keeper clear the bar quickly followed by Noller having a glancing header cleared off the line.

Melton St Aud 1 Bramford United 3

THE home side suffered a humiliating defeat against Bramford in this one-sided affair with Melton penned into their own half for length periods.

Within five minutes Melton were one down as Lawrence picked Ditcham who in turn found Taylor leaving the keeper with little chance to make a save.

Bramford were much the determined overcoming any opposition which kept McKenna on his toes except when Vall had the simplest of chances to double his side's tally.

Although Melton were unfortunate as Goldsmith saw his corner cleared off the line they failed to stop another goal as Taylor beat a defenceless keeper.

With half-time approaching Melton were rewarded a penalty that Fryatt converted to give them a glimpse of hope.

Changes to the Melton side at the break saw a better performance but Bramford stayed the more positive with Ditcham firing into the side netting, Taylor also went close and Yellop missed in front of an open goal.

Woodbridge Athletic 1 Capel Plough 0

A GOAL in the 71st minute by Broom maintained Woodbridge Athletic's 100 per cent record.

They could have gone into the lead in the early stages, missing a number of opportunities, but Capel Plough came back strongly and could easily have scored.

Woodbridge took control after the break and deserved their win, with Capel's Tynan being sent off in the 83rd minute for foul and abusive language.

They have conceded just one goal in five league matches, and have opened up a five-point lead at the top of the table.

They play Walsham-le-Willows at home under floodlights in the Churchman Cup tomorrow night.

Stanton 4 Stonham Aspal 0

THE Hubbards scored a goal apiece as Stanton moved level on points with second-placed Walsham-le-Willows.

Lombardo was unlucky with a delicate chip after good work by Finbow. A nice-looking Stanton attack in the 25th minute came to a halt when Mark Theobald was fouled by Finbow.

On the stroke of half-time Foreman got on the end of a free-kick by Gooderham to score with a good header.

Stonham's Brown brought a good save from Mustoe. After 50 minutes Brett Hubbard brought a good save from Lay. The ball went for a corner resulting in a firmly struck 12-yard goal - after brilliant control - by Ian Hubbard.

Gavin Brown was main contender for miss of the match firing wide when it was easier to score.

After 80 minutes Brett Hubbard turned Steve Double to score from 15-yards.

With two minutes left, Martin Moye hits a shot over the bar under pressure from the brilliant Valmond Manning.

Elers scored after a defensive error for Stonham in the final minute.

Proctor for Stanton has a good first team debut and an enjoyable game of few fouls was well controlled by Mr Smillie.

Walsham 1 Old Newton 2

TITLE favourites Walsham-le-Willows were surprised by Old Newton, who scored two second half goals.

In the eighth minute a 30-yard free run by Kebble crossed to find Smith at the far post and with a free header gave Connick no chance to open the scoring.

Former Walsham player Zarkos had a fierce shot well saved by Cudworth and J Moye's long throw was flicked on for P Musgrove who missed a free header at the far post.

A good run by Byant for his shot deflected for a corner. Then a crossfield ball by Smythe found Bloom who put the ball in the net but was well offside.

Poor control my P Musgrove let in Zarkos whose shot was well saved by Cudworth.

Walsham then had three consecutive corners to put Newton defence under pressure. Good build up down the old Newton right forced a corner which when played in was fired over the bar by Bloom.

Excellent football down Walsham's right between Ross, Musgrove and Kebble just failed to reduce the final result.

Good hold-up play by Zarkos found Simon Ager whose 20 yards shot got a small deflection into the corner of the net to equalise.

A good run by Bryant saw his left foot shot deflected for a corner. P Musgrove found brother Mattie who crossed to Smith at the far post and the player manager should have done better with a free header.

A long left wing cross/cum shot by Smythe hit the far post and found the back of the net to give Old Newton the lead.

A free-kick just inside the area for the keeper holding the ball too long saw Smith's shot deflected for another corner.

Strong running by Newton's Clarke saw his shot curl just wide, a defensive back to Connick saw him redeem himself after fumbling and nearly letting in Newman.

The game finished shortly after another of the many Walsham corners with Old Newton happy to hear the final whistle.

East Bergholt 0 Achilles 2

EAST Bergholt were without player manager Ian Gedny, their leading scorer, and no doubt his absence cost them dearly.

Apart from a Daren Howell shot in the second minute which hit the post Bergholt did not look like scoring.

Kevin Andrews in the Bergholt goal was the busier of the two keepers. He made good saves from Phil Deller and Gavin Vince.

Then Deller hit the bar it was in the 41st minute when Achilles took the lead they deserved when Deller put Simmons clean through.

Andrews blocked Simmons shot but Gavin Vince knocked in the rebound.

Achilles had chances to increase their lead but all were wasted.

Bergholt improved slightly in the second half but they did not trouble goalkeeper Grant Richards.

Then in injury time a dreadful mistake by the East Bergholt defence gave Deller to make it two.

A good display by Achilles with Vince their man of the match.

Grundisburgh 0 Ipswich Athletic 1

IPSWICH Athletic always looked the more likely winners but it took a long time for them to get the decisive goal.

Mills striking on 80 minutes with an accurate low shot across the keeper after a Taylor free kick had eluded the home defence.

Grundisburgh looking lightweight in attack saw their best efforts come from their midfield dynamo Southgate whose wonderful 12-yard volley on 36th minutes was brilliantly saved by Evans at full stretch.

In the 8th minute of injury time it was the limping Evans who again excelled when he smothered a shot from Centre Back King following a great through ball from Squirrel.

Brighty the home keeper, with the last kick of the game had his huge clearance tipped over the bar by Evans to prevent what would have been a unique goal.

In between these events Harold passed up two excellent chances for Athletic snatching shots wide both on one on one situations.

Then Howard should have scored at the back post but steered his shot into the side netting.