Westlake ruled out for rest of season
IPSWICH midfield man Ian Westlake will not play again this season.Westlake, 22, will be sidelined after taking a heavy knock to his ankle in Saturday's 1-1 home draw with Hull.
By Mel Henderson
IPSWICH midfield man Ian Westlake will not play again this season.
Westlake, 22, will be sidelined after taking a heavy knock to his ankle in Saturday's 1-1 home draw with Hull.
He was on the receiving end of a hefty tackle by ex-Town trialist Rui Marques and although he tried to continue he was eventually replaced by Dean McDonald six minutes before the break.
Town boss Joe Royle said: “Ian had an X-ray and while there is no fracture the ankle is very loose and badly swollen.
“The surgeon has not ruled out an operation and has ordered Ian to rest for six to eight weeks, which means his season is over.
- 1 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 2 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 3 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 4 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 5 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 6 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 7 Emergency roadworks on busy Ipswich street to fix leaking water main
- 8 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 9 6 ice rinks to visit in Norfolk and Suffolk this Christmas
- 10 Driver taken to hospital after two vehicle crash near Ipswich train station
“The two games against Hull have been costly for us this season. We lost Nicky Forster in the game up there and are still waiting for him to play again.”
It has been a stop-start campaign for Westlake, who has only made 19 senior starts and the latest injury blow is to the same ankle that ruled him out during September and October.
Meanwhile, a number of Town players were forced to sit out training today as they nursed various injuries.
Jim Magilton, Fabian Wilnis, Jimmy Juan and Owen Garvan were all absentees on a day when the Essex cricket team joined the footballers at their Playford Road HQ.