Witches Watch! What we learned about Ipswich Witches’ victory over Leicester on Thursday night
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Witches opened their Foxhall Heath season with a win over Leicester Lions last night in an inter-league challenge. MIKE BACON looks at what we learned.
This Witches team has been built on a solid 1-7 and last night, in just the opening meeting at Foxhall, the team proved that point.
Only Jake Allen didn’t win a heat – But the young Aussie was involved in a heat 14 5-1 maximum and looked much more at home as the night wore on.
KING IS BACK
Danny King has asked not to mention his arm injury from last season again! And you can see why.
He has put it well behind him and his 10 points, including three heat wins and a pass on the impressive Scott Nicholls, were just reward for a good night’s work.
- 1 'Tit for tat' attacks driven by gang members vying for position, police say
- 2 Road near Ipswich flooded as drivers forced to find alternative routes
- 3 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 4 Thunderstorms warning upgraded in Suffolk ahead of rain
- 5 Ipswich man and Cadillac films with The Only Way Is Essex
- 6 Four people charged as police find machete after brawl in Ipswich street
- 7 VW Golf stolen from Ipswich road after thieves take car keys from home
- 8 Window smashed at Ipswich home in spate of attempted burglaries
- 9 Ipswich man who abandoned Land Rover on train tracks convicted
- 10 Application submitted for new store in Ipswich
Just a shame he mucked up heat 15. After a great start the Witches skipper made a right Horlicks of getting round turn two.
The Foxhall Heath circuit hasn’t had the shape of it changed over the winter for the first time in a few years and now it is bedding down nicely.
The track, so often labelled ‘a gater’s paradise’ over the decades by opposition who have not taken to it, is turning into a fine racing circuit, with lots of overtaking lines.
It was as good an opening night’s racing as has been seen for many years at Foxhall.
LOYAL FAN BASE
There was a good crowd on show last night for what was just a challenge meeting.
Ipswich Witches have an excellent loyal fan base and the club are lucky to have such a following.
They are knowledgeable folk as well, having been witness to some of the sport’s greats over the years. Long may they support the club.
Next week, King’s Lynn Stars are in town for the resurrection of those old Norfolk/Suffolk derbies that fans of the sport in East Anglia have enjoyed over the years, but had to go without for more than a decade.
Two Premiership teams going head to head.
Everyone loves a local derby.... In any sport!!