Whitton hit four past woeful March

SOCCER: All the latest news and reviews from the Jewson League Division One.

Jewson League Division One

March Town United 0 Whitton United 4

WHITTON United produced a strong first-half performance to continue a wretched season for March in which they have signed a total of 93 players in their search for a winning formula.

Two goals in a two-minute spell broke March's spirit; Gayfer first via a looping header from 18 yards beat the home keeper.

The second was a well-worked team goal with Gayfer walloping in after T Layton had stretched the home defence. After two further goal-line clearances and constant pressure the third was an unfortunate own goal off Elliott's cross a minute before half-time.

Whitton then had to wait until the 90th minute for Swann's low shot to find the corner of the net for the fourth.

Most Read

Needham Market 3 Brightlingsea 1

NEEDHAM Market gained another valuable victory in their quest for promotion from Division One. Playing against a team that are always difficult to beat, the home side once in the lead never looked back. The opening exchanges saw Colin Sinclair and Neil Cole go close for Needham and Allen headed just over for the Oystermen.

The opening goal came when Cole beat the offside trap and squared to Ben Woolnough, who shot home with assurance.

Straight after the break another defensive mistake allowed Cole the time and space to control and beat his defensive marker before slotting home. Another howler from Gibbs allowed Carl Sandilands a half chance but in the end his effort was smothered.

Needham added a third when Scot Bennett got in a superb cross and Colin Sinclair headed home firmly at the near post. Both sides introduced substitutes and Brightlingsea capitalised on a rare mistake by the home back line and Chatters shot home the consolation goal.

It was a game that was in front of a sparse crowd and really never reached any great heights although the points were what Needham wanted most from the fixture.

Downham 3 Hadleigh 5

HADLEIGH made it nine goals scored in two matches as they added five more to the four scored against March Town last week.

The star of the show was young striker Mark Goulbourn who was in the side in place of the injured Cracknell as he scored two beauties as well as hitting the woodwork.

A penalty kick by Hawes put Downham ahead but a header from Willingham and a close-range effort by Smith put Hadleigh ahead.

On the stroke of half-time Goulbourn made it three for Hadleigh with a great effort from the edge of the penalty area.

Downham then scored twice in as many minutes early in the second-half with good shots from Whitehead and Hawes levelling the score.

Hadleigh continued to look the more likely side and a well-struck volley by Goulbourn put them in front again.

Just before the end Willingham headed a fifth to complete a deserved success.

Haverhill Rovers 0 Norwich United 0

Haverhill moved into second position behind Norwich after the two sides each took a point from this top-of-the-table clash.

The home side had few opportunities in the game, A Hunt seeing his toe poke headed off the line in the sixth minute and Norwich defender Gannon cleared N Green's attempt at goal behind for a corner in the 59th minute. Norwich had slightly more of the play and the chances overall.

Halstead 0 King's Lynn Res 6

HALSTEAD really hit rock bottom when they were beaten out of sight by a very slick Norfolk outfit. This was the home side's worst home defeat, since AFC Sudbury administered the same bitter medicine on Easter Monday 2000.

Admittedly the home side had lost several players throughout the season, but this was a very disappointing performance to say the least, for Lynn were yards quicker on the ball, passed it round quickly and accurately in contrast to the home side, who frequently gave the ball away or were caught in possession.

Spare a thought for debutant 17-year-old Rob Coe, pressed into service in goal, after both club keepers Lloyd Pentney and Dwayne Street called off.

Halstead had a half-decent opening 20 minutes or so, although King's Lynn looked a very lively outfit all through. They should have fallen behind after 12 minutes when Ray Filby, in a good shooting position, elected to find a colleague and the chance was lost.

Midway through the half King's Lynn took the lead when sloppy defending allowed Kieron Docherty's cross to be easily converted by Hudson.

A penalty was then harshly awarded against Andy Gooderham, when the ball was driven against him, and Mike Thompson converted the spot kick.

On resumption the visitors dictated matters with fine direct play and the home side could do little about it as King's Lynn ran up four more goals, the first following a long clearance by keeper Nobes that put Chris Bacon clean through to make in three. On the hour Docherty nipped between the watching defenders for No 4.

Although Halstead brought on all three subs, there was nothing they could salvage from the wreckage, apart from a free header which French put over the bar. Immediately play went to the other end where substitute Moore made it five and in injury time Hudson hit the target with a speculative 35 yarder which went in via an upright.