Whitton hold on to go through
Football: Suffolk Senior Cup.Whitton United 1 Grundisburgh 0. Whitton just about deserved their victory by virtue of a much improved second half performance after a sluggish first period.
Football: Suffolk Senior Cup
Whitton United 1 Grundisburgh 0
Whitton just about deserved their victory by virtue of a much improved second half performance after a sluggish first period. The ball went constantly astray from both sides but after Mongan made a great saving tackle in the first few minutes on Swann, Grundisburgh steadily gained in confidence. Clennell had a near post header cleared off the line and then shot weakly straight at keeper Holden.
Southgate should have made more of a perfect cross from McQuillan as the visitors looked to take advantage of the famous slope. Hurd blasted wide from a good opening from the other end and Whitton's half was summed up by Swann who completely miskicked a ball cut back by Hurd and then Eaton who was presented with a 43rd minute chance to open the scoring form the penalty spot after Gayfer was fouled.
Keeper Gaunt kept the ball out on his right hand post and then Eaton hit the otherside of the woodwork from the rebound and the ball was cleared.
There was much more football played after the break and Whitton with Swann always available to make runs up front gradually got their game going but Grundisburgh had shots from Mongan and Cotton charged down on the break.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 3 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 4 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 9 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 10 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
Their back four denied Whitton any clear cut openings but they rode their luck when Swann had a terrific shot rebound off the post. The breakthrough came in the 83rd minute when a good link up between Hurd and Swann saw Layton bundled over form behind by Crane at the far post from the cross.
Layton got up to confidently drive in low from the spot. There was nearly a string in the tail when Cotton got away in the last minute but Holden raced out to bravely keep Whitton in front and they safely went on to play out time.