Williams' injury leaves opening
IPSWICH Town hope to find out later today just how serious the injury to Gavin Williams is after the midfielder had a MRI scan this morning.Blues boss Jim Magilton is anxiously waiting for a diagnosis from a specialist but accepts he will have to plan the early part of the season without Williams.
By Derek Davis
IPSWICH Town hope to find out later today just how serious the injury to Gavin Williams is after the midfielder had a MRI scan this morning.
Blues boss Jim Magilton is anxiously waiting for a diagnosis from a specialist but accepts he will have to plan the early part of the season without Williams.
Magilton said: “Gavin had the scan this morning and we now the injury is serious but until we hear from the specialist we don't know how long he will be out.”
Williams' absence leaves the door open for another Town player and Magilton admits he has many options.
George O'Callaghan looked particularly impressive in the reserve friendly win at Dartford, while Gary Roberts scored and Matt Richards shone.
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 3 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 4 Dog rescued from flat fire
- 5 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 6 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 8 'Vile violation of trust' - son hits out after carer stole £1,700 from mum
- 9 A14 closed overnight as lorry overturns in multi-vehicle pile up
- 10 Politicians make Ipswich a third division town
Danny Haynes and Jaime Peters are also in with a chance to securing the left side of midfield berth.
He said: “There is place up for grabs and Danny, Jaime, Gary, Matt and George all have a chance.
“It is now case of whoever shows me in training that they want it the most.
“Jaime's pre-season was disrupted because he was with Canada but his fitness levels are very good so it was a case of letting him have a wee rest and then bringing him back.
“Danny needs to get away from that Supersub tag but even so when he comes on when the sting has gone from the game he is very effective.
“George has had a terrific pre-season and it is about minutes on the park for him. His fitness levels have always been high so I have no qualms about playing George.
“Matt played well on Tuesday and is naturally left-sided player so he has a chance.”