World Cup woe for Finidi
FINIDI George's hopes of going to the World Cup in Japan appear to be over.The Ipswich winger was not included when Nigeria coach Adegboye Onigbinde named his provisional 35-man World Cup squad last night.
FINIDI George's hopes of going to the World Cup in Japan appear to be over.
The Ipswich winger was not included when Nigeria coach Adegboye Onigbinde named his provisional 35-man World Cup squad last night.
There was no place in Onigbinde's plans, either, for Borussia Dortmund stars Sunday Oliseh or Victor Ikpeba.
The three were all involved in helping Nigeria to third place in the African Nations Cup earlier this year, but their omission from the World Cup squad is no great surprise.
You may also want to watch:
After the tournament in Mali, coach Amodu Shaibu was sacked in favour of Onigbinde. And, since then, many of Nigeria's best-known and most established players have found their opportunities limited.
The surprise inclusion is former Derby County defender Taribo West, who is currently without a club.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 4 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 10 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
English-based players who are in the Nigeria 35 are goalkeeper Ademola Bankole of Crewe, defenders Celestine Babayaro of Chelsea and Daniel Shittu of QPR, and Arsenal striker Nwankwo Kanu.