World Cup woe for Finidi
FINIDI George's hopes of going to the World Cup in Japan appear to be over.The Ipswich winger was not included when Nigeria coach Adegboye Onigbinde named his provisional 35-man World Cup squad last night.
FINIDI George's hopes of going to the World Cup in Japan appear to be over.
The Ipswich winger was not included when Nigeria coach Adegboye Onigbinde named his provisional 35-man World Cup squad last night.
There was no place in Onigbinde's plans, either, for Borussia Dortmund stars Sunday Oliseh or Victor Ikpeba.
The three were all involved in helping Nigeria to third place in the African Nations Cup earlier this year, but their omission from the World Cup squad is no great surprise.
After the tournament in Mali, coach Amodu Shaibu was sacked in favour of Onigbinde. And, since then, many of Nigeria's best-known and most established players have found their opportunities limited.
The surprise inclusion is former Derby County defender Taribo West, who is currently without a club.
- 1 Lido cash bid could get restoration of much-loved pool underway
- 2 All four wheels stolen from BMW car parked outside home
- 3 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 4 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 5 Line-up announced for Ipswich library's music event
- 6 Village set for 33 new homes after planners approve project
- 7 'Tons' of water leaking from burst water main as people urged to avoid road
- 8 Revealed: The latest Covid rates in every Suffolk neighbourhood
- 9 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 10 From Ipswich to LA: 20-year-old Suffolk singer's meteoric rise
English-based players who are in the Nigeria 35 are goalkeeper Ademola Bankole of Crewe, defenders Celestine Babayaro of Chelsea and Daniel Shittu of QPR, and Arsenal striker Nwankwo Kanu.