Yeovil Town v Colchester United, team news: John McGreal will leave it late to pick his team
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Sammie Szmodics will be out for weeks, rather than months, after being stretchered off during Tuesday night’s 2-2 draw against Grimsby.
It was initially feared that Szmodics might have broken his leg in a similar place to where he sustained an injury at Crewe in March, but instead the 22-year-old attacking midfielder has been sidelined by ankle ligament damage.
The U’s leading scorer had only been on the pitch for six minutes, as a substitute, when the incident occurred at Blundell Park.
“Sammie’s is more like an ankle injury, which is good news in a way, because we thought he might have had a re-break at the bottom of his leg, so its weeks rather than months out,” revealed McGreal. “So it’s great news with the extent of it, although it’s still a huge blow.
“We gave him a breather at Grimsby, knowing all his injuries from last season. We wanted to bring him on (as a substitute) to have an effect.”
Szmodics begins his lay-off with tomorrow’s trip to Yeovil Town, although boss McGreal is hoping that defender Tom Eastman might be back in the squad after a tweaked hamstring.
Eastman sat out the draw at Grimsby, with McGreal also opting to go with a 4-4-2 formation, rather than a three-at-the-back system.
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 3 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 4 Dog rescued from flat fire
- 5 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 6 Wallet and cash stolen as two more cars have windows smashed in in Ipswich
- 7 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 8 Women suffers leg injuries after crash on village road outside Ipswich
- 9 Delays on Orwell Bridge after fire crews called to 'smoke coming from vehicle'
- 10 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
“We have been assessing Tom (Eastman) for the last 48 hours,” said McGreal.
“We have Cole (Kpekawa) who can fill in now, and Cameron (James) as well, so it’s food for thought this week (in terms of team formation).
“I will be picking the team as late as I can, a bit like on Tuesday.”
Striker Brandan Hanlan is nursing a groin injury, but should feature, while captain Tom Lapslie is available again after his one-match suspension.