Zabik gives reasons for not signing
WORLD Under-21 speedway champion Karol Zabic has given his reasons for turning down an offer to ride for Ipswich Evening Star Witches this year.“I did receive an offer from Ipswich, but decided to turn it down,” said the 21-year-old Pole.
By Elvin King
WORLD Under-21 speedway champion Karol Zabic has given his reasons for turning down an offer to ride for Ipswich Evening Star Witches this year.
“I did receive an offer from Ipswich, but decided to turn it down,” said the 21-year-old Pole.
“I didn't want to take too much on my shoulders to avoid instability in my form.
You may also want to watch:
“Riding in the Polish and Swedish Leagues is a heavy schedule and I also have junior commitments.
“If I add something like 40 matches in England, then my number of meetings would be really huge.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 3 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 8 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 9 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 10 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
“This season is very important to me, as it is my last as a junior and I really want to make a show and if possible retain the world title.
“I am keen to ride in the Elite League in 2008.
“If I was to sign a contract with Ipswich now, it would not be fair to a club where I have already had talks - and where agreement has been reached for me to ride next year.
“This club wanted to possess two world champions and they have already managed to get hold of one.
“I hope that there won't be any obstacles for me to join this team next year - as a double world under-21 champion.”
The club in question is Poole and Pirates chief Matt Ford has welcomed Zabik's decision to decline Ipswich's offer.
Ford, who had earlier stressed Zabik had given verbal assurances that he wanted to ride for Poole in 2008, said: “Karol not signing for Ipswich is good news for me.
“We are very pleased that he has chosen to stick with his initial thought.
“This leaves the door open for us to secure a deal with him in the near future.”
Zabik, who had originally ruled out riding in England this year, changed his mind when he had trouble closing a deal with his Swedish club.
However, he has now patched up his differences.