BBC 6 Music DJ Tom Ravenscroft at Pump and Grind tonight
- Credit: Archant
BBC 6 Music DJ Tom Ravenscroft, son of the late John Peel, will help relaunch Pump and Grind in Ipswich tonight.
He will be joined at the Great Colman Street venue by Olli Dutton, who has worked with the likes of First Aid Kit, Polica, Hercules Love Affair and Gold Panda.
Pump and Grind is the brainchild of Tom Kerridge, who’s also behind Ipswich’s Ramp Recordings record label.
“I wanted to bring something a bit more contemporary to the town, somewhere fun and unpretentious you can hang out for hours and listen to wicked tunes... I like to think it has the feel of a European café bar, where families mix with businessmen; youngsters can play ping pong and older people do the crosswords while sampling our craft beers. Everyone is welcome. It’s just chilled.”
So far, there have been appearances from DnB producers and DJs Villem and McLeod with vocal sensation Riya. The trio are nominated for best song at this year’s Drum and Bass Awards. Suffolk soul has also been represented by up-and-coming Mirror Signal.
There are plans to bring bigger names to the venue, live house, funk and soul music; hip hop DJs plus regular quiz and theme nights. There are also creative and digital networking evenings held there every month. Read more about that here.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Kerridge also invites local artists to put their stamp on the windows, with displays changing every two months. The current window is by local art collective The Cone Sisters but will soon be replaced by Becky Whiting Designs and Kieran Page.
To contribute work, check out @pump_and_grind on Twitter.
- 1 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 2 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 3 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 4 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 5 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 8 High winds close Ipswich festival event temporarily
- 9 Ed Sheeran announces Christmas show supporting young Suffolk musicians
- 10 Fresh warning to parents after children re-enact Squid Game on playgrounds