Much-loved historic ship sails into Ipswich for special day trips
- Credit: Picture: EXCELSIOR TRUST
Historic Suffolk sailing smack Excelsior has been taking water-lovers for day sails in Ipswich over the weekend.
And it’s not too late for would-be sailors to climb aboard, because there will be more day sails on Monday, April 15.
The 98-year-old vessel, based in Lowestoft, is listed as one of the nation’s most important historic ships and is authentically maintained by the Excelsior Trust.
Mary George from the trust said: “The weather hasn’t been ideal, but we have had some good sails - it has been a really good start to the 2019 season. It’s nice to be able to do it in home surroundings in Suffolk. People were really pleased to have a sail.”
She added that, when they were arriving, the ship passed under the Orwell Bridge and it was a fairly tight fit - although not quite as tight as it looked in their photos!
If you would like to travel on Excelsior on Monday, call 0845 3082323 or you can just go along to the Haven Marina before 9.30am. The cost is £75 for the day sail, including refreshments and lunch.
If you missed out on sailing this weekend, Excelsior is also sailing on day trips from Lowestoft on May 6, June 26, July 12 and 13.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 4 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 5 Wahoo skating shop moving from Ipswich to Woodbridge
- 6 Drug dealer escapes jail after £3k worth of cannabis found at home
- 7 Hunt for Vicky's killer continues nearly six months after suspect arrested
- 8 Man charged in connection of drug offences in Ipswich
- 9 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 10 Ipswich shop owner among UK's top 100 female business women
Over the season, the ship will be going on voyages to Germany, Holland, Belgium, France and the Channel Islands.
For more details, visit the Excelsior Trust’s website.