Ocean Fish Platter, Ipswich: Great seafood in welcoming restaurant
- Credit: Archant
It can be quite easy to miss Ocean Fish Platter, but it's a friendly and welcoming restaurant serving some great seafood in Ipswich town centre.
Located in Upper Brook Street opposite the Sainsbury's supermarket, I must have walked past the diner dozens of times without ever paying attention to what was inside.
But the seafood restaurant has clearly made its name among the people of Ipswich - it's the top-rated eatery out of 293 in the town on Tripadvisor. And our readers agree.
For a pit stop for food at around 4pm on a Saturday, I walked inside and was swiftly escorted to my choice of table. I had actually timed my late lunch perfectly, as I was told the restaurant would be fully booked in the next hour.
Having already decided what I was ordering - a standard fresh cod and chips, for the purpose of review - it didn't take long for a member of staff to take my order. After around 10 minutes my food arrived, steam visibly emanating from the plate.
The perfect chips are the ones that are crispy on the outside but soft in the middle. I have had many substandard fries before from a chippy, but I'm pleased to report Ocean Fish Platter nailed the texture.
It was a plateful of chips, too. I'm not a massive eater, but I gave it a good go and felt I left a decent dent in my serving.
Another pleasing factor was that the fish wasn't exactly some small fry - the cod essentially stretched from one end of the plate to the other and came with a lemon to squeeze as a garnish.
Some chippies have a tendency to overdo the batter and make the fish crunchy, but Ocean Fish Platter struck a decent balance between soft and crispy. The cod itself was succulent, juicy and a cut above what you might order from a takeaway.
My order, with a milkshake, came to £16.45, plus a 10% tip for the top-class service I received. This felt like a fair price considering the restaurant's welcoming atmosphere and great food.
- 1 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 2 Teenager sexually assaulted and then robbed in Ipswich
- 3 Travellers pitch up in one of Ipswich's busiest parks
- 4 One of the world's largest container ships arrives at Port of Felixstowe
- 5 Teenager’s 10 year sentence is warning over ‘horrendous’ acid attacks
- 6 Open air theatre coming to Ipswich park later this month
- 7 Two knives found in Ipswich park after six teenagers arrested
- 8 GALLERY: Photos show devastating aftermath of huge fire near Ipswich
- 9 10-acre field fire breaks out in south Suffolk village
- 10 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
Ocean Fish Platter is definitely one to recommend, and on the basis of my experience, it's easy to see why it's been getting top marks on review sites.