Pub announces Christmas Day closure to give staff day with family
- Credit: Google Maps/Getty Images/iStockphoto
A pub in Needham Market has announced it will shut Christmas Day so its staff can spend more time with their families.
The Swan, in the town's High Street, had planned to be open for drinks on Saturday.
But a post on the pub's Facebook page said: "We have taken the decision not to open at all on Christmas Day to allow our staff this time with their families at this difficult time.
"We hope you can understand our decision."
Martin Waterworth, general manager at the Swan, was down to work the bar on Christmas Day but said the owners were also looking to protect staff due to Covid.
He said: "Our owner felt it wasn't necessarily appropriate. With a bit of a different crowd, people would be gathering at the bar.
"There's a lot of issues going around with Covid.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'Despicable racism' condemned after letter in post
- 3 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 4 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 5 Fire crews called to fire on flat balcony in busy Ipswich road
- 6 Ipswich man appears in court charged with child sex offences
- 7 Peugeot stolen from Ipswich pub car park
- 8 School in Ipswich 'proud' of good Ofsted report
- 9 Delays on A14 after Orwell Bridge incident
- 10 Homeless man allegedly stabbed man who offered help
"I was going to see my family after work, but I'll be spending more time with the kids. That's always preferable."