Ipswich Chamber Choir to stage Claudio Monteverdi’s Vespers of 1610 at St Mary-le-Tower Church
Audience members will be thrown back to the 17th Century this weekend as performers take to the stage to give their rendition of a world-famous piece of music.
Tickets are still available for the showing of Claudio Monteverdi’s Vespers of the Blessed Virgin Mary (1610) at St Mary-le-Tower Church, in Ipswich, on Saturday from 6pm.
The event is organised by the Ipswich Chamber Choir and will also feature the Choristers of St Mary-le-Tower, six solo singers and the Ravenscroft Consort playing reconstructed instruments to recreate the sounds of the time. It will be conducted by Chris Borrett.
Carol Scotland, chairwoman of Ipswich Chamber Choir, said: “This is hugely exciting music published to impress potential employers such as St Mark’s in Venice and indeed Monteverdi did get the job!
“For the performers this will be special: as the piece demands many solo singers and instrumentalists it may be our one chance to sing it - and for Ipswich to host it.
“It will also be visually stimulating - candlelit and with singers performing from different areas, although we can’t emulate the balconies in St Marks!”
The concert is followed by a reception at The Ipswich & Suffolk Club at 8pm.
- 1 Boys, 15 and 16, arrested after man injured in machete attack in Ipswich
- 2 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 3 Ann Summers on the move in Ipswich
- 4 'Really concerning' – Shock after machete attack at Ipswich sports centre
- 5 Award winning Felixstowe family card shop turns 75
- 6 See inside £715k mid Suffolk townhouse for sale after major revamp
- 7 First look at new Arlingtons as venue reopening today
- 8 Pre-school celebrating 'right result' after Ofsted good rating
- 9 Can you spot yourself in our Festival of Wheels gallery?
- 10 Mapped: All the places crimes were reported in Ipswich in June
Tickets are available from Music World in Ipswich or by telephone on: 01473 253666.