Ipswich: Jazz fans spoilt for choice at the California Club this weekend
JAZZ fans have been presented with quite a dilemma this weekend; which gig(s) to go to. I’ll be at the California Club in Ipswich this Sunday for the visit of local lass Karen Sharp but if I wasn’t there I’m pretty sure I’d be taking in some jazz elsewhere.
The jazz weekend starts this evening with the Chris Biscoe Quartet featuring Tony Kofi at Fleece Jazz in Stoke-by-Nayland while Colchester singer Helen Abbey and her group Verao begin a monthly residency at the Bristol Arms in Shotley.
Tomorrow night Hadleigh Town Hall presents trumpet star Enrico Tomasso backed by Chris Ingham, Arnie Somogyi and George Double. Also in the area tomorrow evening is vocalist Clare Teal, this time to perform at The Old Granary at Toft Monks near Beccles.
Ipswich-born Karen is always assured of a warm welcome at the Ipswich Jazz Club where she has appeared on many occasions and in many formats. For her latest visit this Sunday she’ll be fronting a sextet focusing on the music of Gerry Mulligan.
Karen has decided to feature some of Mulligan’s 1950s recordings and she’ll be joined by trumpeter Bruce Adams, tenor saxophonist and clarinettist Robert Fowler, Arian Fry on trombone, Simon Thorpe on bass and Matt Home on drums. That is quite a line-up and one which ought to attract another big turnout at the Cali. Admission’s £13 and doors open at 7.30pm.
If that doesn’t float your boat then Sunday night also sees Gilad Atzmon guesting with the house band at Fludyers in Felixstowe and singer Laura Zakian linking up with the Jazznights Trio at the Cherry Tree in Belchamp St Paul near Sudbury.
- 1 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 2 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 3 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 4 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 5 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 6 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 7 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
- 8 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries