Ipswich Regent Theatre sees dip in visitor numbers
- Credit: Archant
The number of people visiting Ipswich Regent Theatre fell to a three-year low in 2014, new figures reveal.
The plunge in spectators has been put down in part to the launch of one-day festival East Coast Live in Chantry Park last year.
In 2010, attendance figures reached an impressive 151,171, and then fell dramatically the following year to 125,678.
It picked up in 2012 to 144,916 visitors, followed by 137,341 in 2013 and 131,826 last year.
From January 1 to July 31 2015, there were 64,428 visitors to the venue, which is run by Ipswich Borough Council.
You may also want to watch:
However, the Regent’s Christmas pantomime is fully embedded in the town’s social calendar.
Often boasting a star-studded cast, the show attracts sell-out audiences throughout December.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 8 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 9 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot
A Regent spokesman: “The past few years have seen some of the biggest shows in the region and we are attracting audiences from all over Suffolk, north Essex and beyond.
“Last year, we also attracted around 20,000 people to East Coast Live, with Jessie J and Jason Derulo.
“This was a kind of Regent Outdoors event and when you add up all the figures it shows our theatre has established its position as East Anglia’s biggest and best entertainment venue.”
Maximum capacity at the Ipswich Regent Theatre is 1,535, depending on individual show arrangements.