Ipswich Regent Theatre sees dip in visitor numbers
- Credit: Archant
The number of people visiting Ipswich Regent Theatre fell to a three-year low in 2014, new figures reveal.
The plunge in spectators has been put down in part to the launch of one-day festival East Coast Live in Chantry Park last year.
In 2010, attendance figures reached an impressive 151,171, and then fell dramatically the following year to 125,678.
It picked up in 2012 to 144,916 visitors, followed by 137,341 in 2013 and 131,826 last year.
From January 1 to July 31 2015, there were 64,428 visitors to the venue, which is run by Ipswich Borough Council.
However, the Regent’s Christmas pantomime is fully embedded in the town’s social calendar.
Often boasting a star-studded cast, the show attracts sell-out audiences throughout December.
- 1 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 2 Two knives found in Ipswich park after six teenagers arrested
- 3 10-acre field fire breaks out in south Suffolk village
- 4 One of the world's largest container ships arrives at Port of Felixstowe
- 5 Investigation ongoing after huge blaze rips through land near Ipswich
- 6 Teenager sexually assaulted and then robbed in Ipswich
- 7 Couple get engaged after abseiling down Ipswich Hospital block
- 8 'I'm so proud' - Jimmy's Farm scoops three prestigious awards
- 9 Mobile phone and laptop stolen in spate of thefts from cars near Ipswich
- 10 Summertime Ipswich to bring the party to the Waterfront next weekend
A Regent spokesman: “The past few years have seen some of the biggest shows in the region and we are attracting audiences from all over Suffolk, north Essex and beyond.
“Last year, we also attracted around 20,000 people to East Coast Live, with Jessie J and Jason Derulo.
“This was a kind of Regent Outdoors event and when you add up all the figures it shows our theatre has established its position as East Anglia’s biggest and best entertainment venue.”
Maximum capacity at the Ipswich Regent Theatre is 1,535, depending on individual show arrangements.