Ipswich Town teases major football project, maybe more concerts
- Credit: Archant
Talks are taking place about a big football project at Portman Road, the club teased today.
It’s early days, but if agreed, it would be staged as a one-off viewing event on a giant screen at the stadium at the close of the season.
“It has a major ITFC flavour to it but goes beyond the club into the wider football world as well. That’s all I can say really,” said Steve Pearce, Ipswich Town Football Club’s media manager.
There was also some hope for music lovers looking forward to another star line-up after Elton John wowed fans there earlier in the summer.
Mr Pearce said the club is constantly in touch with promoters over possible concerts at the 30,000 seater stadium but wasn’t far down the line with anybody at the moment.
Some of the biggest names in the music world have performed at the home of the Blues in recent years.
Acts that have graced the Tractor Boys’ hallowed turf include Tina Turner in 1990, Status Quo in 1991, Rod Stewart in 1991 and 2007, Bryan Adams in 1992, Dire Straits in 1992, Elton John, supported by James Blunt in 2004; Neil Diamond in 2005, R.E.M, supported by The Zutons in 2005; Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2006, Pink in 2010 and Barry Manilow in 2014.
- 1 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 2 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 3 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 4 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 7 5 places to spot celebrities in Suffolk
- 8 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 9 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 10 'Ludicrous' - Stanley boss on 'big turning point' in Town loss
Suffolk singer Ed Sheeran has already said he’d love to play Portman Road.
He told Radio Norwich 99.9 earlier this year: “I really, really want to play Portman Road. But you get tied into deals. If you’re playing Wembley, that’s like your east and south of England gig. So I will definitely play Portman Road at some point. That’s one thing I really want to do.”
The club said at the time having the Castle On The Hill star appear would be fantastic.
• Who would you like to see play Portman Road next summer and why? Email email@example.com