Jazz is back at St Peter’s By The Waterfront
- Credit: Archant
St Peter’s by the Waterfront is presenting another great night of music in it’s Jazz by the Waterfront series for 2015, this time featuring for the first time at the venue Blue Town Jazz, on Friday July 3.
Blue Town have come together around a mutual love of jazz but each person brings his/her own range of diverse interests and influences to the band and its repertoire.
Based in Colchester, they have performed at the Oxjam Festival Colchester, Harwich Festival of the Arts, as well as for pubs, parties and charity events in the area.
John Clifton (tenor and soprano saxophone) and Andrew Keddie (guitar) met when playing with the world music band Escucha. John studied under Andy Brush and has played with the contemporary music ensemble Firewire. Andrew loves rock and blues and plays for east-coast rockabilly band Rock House. Nathan Swabey (bass guitar) is classically trained as well as playing with his church band.
Will Rowsell (drums) studied at Colchester Institute. Apart from teaching drums, percussion and piano, he also plays percussion for the jazz fusion band Houston Mayhead Quintet.
Vocalist is Alison Parkes.
Alison’s first love was folk music, followed by musical theatre. She discovered jazz when singing with the Devon band Tim’s Toe-tappers and legendary saxophonist Bobby Wellins.
- 1 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 2 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 3 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 4 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 5 Drug dealer escapes jail after £3k worth of cannabis found at home
- 6 Wahoo skating shop moving from Ipswich to Woodbridge
- 7 Ipswich shop owner among UK's top 100 female business women
- 8 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 9 Man charged in connection of drug offences in Ipswich
- 10 Hunt for Vicky's killer continues nearly six months after suspect arrested
Blue Town perform a mix of jazz standards and contemporary jazz and other material in a range of rhythms, from swing to latin to reggae to funk, with a distinctly bluesy feel.
Blue Town will be appearing at St Peter’s this Friday, 3rd July with the doors opening at 7.15pm.
Tickets are available from jazzbythewaterfront.com for £10 in advance and £12 on the door.