We’ll miss you, Elmer - Looking back at an elephant-astic summer
- Credit: Archant
As the Elmer sculptures go off parade in Ipswich, our photo gallery looks back at some of the highlights.
Norman Lloyd, campaign manager for Elmer's Big Parade Suffolk, said: "We have been really overwhelmed with how the public have taken Elmer and our trail to their hearts and supported us so fantastically - what a summer we have had!
"In the last few days we have had lots of comments from people about how town feels bare and empty and it is true, we have got very used to the elephants being around.
"But of course this isn't the end. We are really excited for our two big final events, Elmer Packs His Trunk, at the Corn Exchange and Town Hall on September 28-29, and the Grand Elmer Auction, on October 3, when all the large Elmers will go under the hammer and say goodbye for the last time."
Highlights included the Elmer Show at the Regent, with the arrival of the last Elmer, Hero, and a visit by Elmer's creator, author David McKee.
Fans of the trail have been paying tribute on Facebook. Emma Love said: "I had a very upset two-year-old! She was looking for them as she knows where they all were!"
Jane Venton said: "It was lovely". And Ailish Southgate said: "Wonderful trail. I was amazed and slightly sad driving along Princes Street on Sunday morning and not an Elmer in sight, as if they'd never been there."
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 4 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 5 Wahoo skating shop moving from Ipswich to Woodbridge
- 6 Drug dealer escapes jail after £3k worth of cannabis found at home
- 7 Hunt for Vicky's killer continues nearly six months after suspect arrested
- 8 Man charged in connection of drug offences in Ipswich
- 9 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 10 Ipswich shop owner among UK's top 100 female business women