Review: All Star Superslam Wrestling, Corn Exchange, Ipswich, March 8
- Credit: Archant
CHEST-PUMPING body slams, steel cage mayhem, over-dramatic gladiatorial taunts, witty fan insults, boos of anger and eruptions of joy.
When you think about it, what’s not to love about wrestling?
Fans spanning three generations were treated to an exhilarating night of entertainment courtesy of All Star Superslam Wrestling at the Corn Exchange on Friday night.
For the wrestling connoisseurs, there were flying DDTs from top turnbuckles, chokeslam powerbombs and textbook snap suplexes.
For the mums and dads – and there were plenty of them with hoards of excitable children whipping up a frenzy and giving back as good as what they got from the baddies – it was reassuringly well-organised pantomime fun.
You may also want to watch:
It must be said the toned and bronzed Thespians were as well versed in their audience interaction as they were in their wrestling execution.
Any awkward silences soon gave way to seat-vibrating uproar as our down-and-out heroes soon got us clapping and banging our feet again, while the villains worked their magic too when necessary.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 3 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 4 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 7 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 8 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 9 Felixstowe to get £1million 'beach village' with new attractions
- 10 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
Five bouts, featuring stars like Jonny Storm, the UK Kid and Bad News Brown, flew by over three hours, albeit with a 45-minute interval as the steel cage was constructed.
The cage may have served as a distraction rather than an attraction initially, but the main event blew everyone away.
They even promised a tables, ladders and chairs match upon their return. Who could turn that down?