Review: Nitro Circus Live, O2, London, last night
- Credit: Archant
What a breathtaking show. At least I think it was, I watched parts of it peering through my fingers.
Saturday’s performance sold out four months ago, it was nearly a full house last night too as some of the best extreme sports stars in the world unleashed aerial anarchy, freestyle feats and motor-fuelled mayhem.
There were touching tributes to inspirational X Games biker and BMX champion Dave Mirra, who died from an apparent suicide last week; and extreme sports star Erik Roner who died last year when a stunt went wrong. Then it was straight on with the madness.
One of the highlights was the first four people on a motocross bike backflip. Attempting the same stunt in Glasgow on Thursday landed Nitro Circus in the news. Two of the three audience volunteers had to be taken to hospital when it went wrong. Apparently both are recovering and said they would do it again. The danger didn’t stop people volunteering in their droves yesterday.
Another was the first FMX front flip seen in Europe.
There were lots of technical terms for what we were seeing. Basically they hurled themselves down and off various ramps, including the massive Giganta, and into the air where they performed aerial feats on vehicles that had no business being up that high.
These included an armchair, a whiskey barrel - which put its intended rider in hospital during trial runs - a bathtub, penny farthing, child’s rocking horse and a snow mobile as well as motocross bikes, BMXs, scooters and skates.
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 3 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 4 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 5 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms
- 6 'I can’t explain how much it hurt' - mum who lost two children leads bereavement service
- 7 'Definitely worth it' - Late night shoppers turn out in Ipswich
- 8 8 things to do with friends and family in Suffolk this weekend
- 9 Kesgrave GP bookings start online after making appointments proves hard
- 10 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich
Jumps didn’t always go to plan, but they even fell with style.
Whether you’re into extreme sports or not, this is a fantastic family day out.