Review: Swan Lake, Russian State Ballet of Siberia, Ipswich Regent, February 13
- Credit: Archant
Tchaikovsky’s timeless fairy tale of love and loss received a tender portrayal in this memorable adaptation by the Russian State Ballet of Siberia.
In this classic monument of ballet, some of the world’s best dancers played out the story of ill-fate Prince Siegfried and his would-be bride Odette.
The plot was beautifully brought to life with stunning costumes and clever choreography by Marius Petipa, Lev Ivanov and Sregei Bobrov while the familiar music was given a vibrant feel by the Russian State Orchestra of Siberia.
Ekaterina Bulgutova delivered a stand-out performance as an effortlessly graceful, swan-like Odette before transforming into the darker version of Odile.
Her Prince Siegfried, by Sergei Smirnov, did not let the audience down with Odette’s grace and beauty compelling the couple to create genuine emotion.
You may also want to watch:
The ballet’s classic themes of betrayal, deceit and loss came across with dazzling effect by the dancers with Egor Osokin proving to be a formidable and dark villain as Von Rothbart, the Evil Genius who has imprisoned the princess in her swan-like state.
The talented cast ensured the audience were transfixed on the enchanting ballet, which is probably the world’s most well-known classic, for the duration of the two acts.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 5 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 6 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
- 9 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 10 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash