Sassy Cassie proves more than a match for dance star
IPSWICH: A twinkle-toed teenager is still on a high today after matching one of Britain’s best ballroom dance stars step for step.
Cassie Campbell-Cartwright boldly threw down a dance-off challenge to Strictly star Brendan Cole when he brought his live show to The Regent this week.
Confident Cassie, 13, showed Cole a thing or two with her skilful hip-hop moves and proved that Ipswich really does have talent.
The chance on-stage meeting came about after the Kiwi dance favourite invited the audience to write questions at the interval for him to answer during the second half of the show.
But Cassie cheekily challenged the 34-year-old to a hip-hop style dance-off – a challenge which Cole graciously accepted but may have ended up regretting as the teen proved more than a match for him.
The year eight Copleston High School pupil said: “I asked him if he wanted a hip-hop dance off and he just came and got me from the audience.
“I was quite shaken at first but once I got on stage I was fine.
- 1 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 3 Investigations ongoing into 'inter-gang disputes' in town
- 4 Ongoing heathland blaze sees 147 calls made to fire service
- 5 Farmer 'heartbroken' as land sees fourth fire in 10 days
- 6 Convicted murderer released on temporary license arrested in Ipswich
- 7 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 8 Matchday Recap: How Town's cup defeat to Colchester played out
- 9 Meeting to discuss traffic calming measures after community concerns
- 10 21-year-old man drowned on hottest day of the year, inquest hears
“Brendan said he had never tried hip-hop dancing before so I told him to follow me – and he did quite well.
“Dancing is something I’ve always loved doing and I’d love to perform in the West End.”
Cassie, of The Combers, Kesgrave, is not only a rising hip-hop dance star – she also has a talent for ballet, jazz and modern dancing. As does her equally skilled big sister Chlo�, who is preparing to sit her GCSEs before pursuing a future in entertainment.
Proud mum Miranda, who teaches dance with Anglia Salsa, was chuffed to see Cassie on stage at The Regent.
She said: “Brendan invited Cassie on stage and the band started playing some funky music.
“Then she started body popping and he could barely keep up with her! She really loved it.”
n Have you rubbed shoulders with the stars? Tell us your stories of celebrity encounters. Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.
n Opinion – page 6