Genesis songs comes alive in Ipswich with guitarist Steve Hackett’s orchestral offering
As guitarist with Genesis during their progressive rock pioneering ‘Peter Gabriel’ era, Steve Hackett was responsible for some of the bands most ethereal, moving and majestic music during the 1970s.
And 2018 finds the 68-year-old continuing to push the boundaries, this time with the latest Genesis Revisted tour featuring the band’s classic prog output backed by an orchestra.
Ipswich Regent was the latest stop of the tour for Hackett’s band alongside the Heart of England Philharmonic Orchestra.
Kicking off with Dance on a Volcano, the sound appears quite muddied at first, and the full impact of the orchestra doesn’t quite make its mark.
But by the second song in, a splendid Out of the Body, the sound is eased into place and the sheer majesty of Genesis’ material is unleashed.
You may also want to watch:
Firth of Fifth marks a particularly rousing number, before the first half ends with the stormy apocalypse of Shadow of the Hierophant which rattles the rafters in all its booming glory.
The second half revels in the likes of Afterglow and Supper’s Ready, before finishing off the night with the rousing encore of The Musical Box.
- 1 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 2 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 8 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 9 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
It may not be the first time Hackett has toured with his old band’s songs, but the virtuoso guitarist’s latest offering ensures that he remains peering outside his comfort zone.