Virtuous and sensitive chamber music
Ipswich Chamber Music Society - Dominant String QuartetIpswich School 17th NovemberNOW in its 82nd year, Ipswich Chamber Music Society continues to bring to Ipswich the best of the world's chamber musicians.
Ipswich Chamber Music Society - Dominant String Quartet
Ipswich School 17th November
NOW in its 82nd year, Ipswich Chamber Music Society continues to bring to Ipswich the best of the world's chamber musicians.
An evening of Beethoven, Shostakovich and Brahms has to count high in any chamber music-lover's dream programme, and on this night all three works were performed with virtuosity and sensitivity by the all-woman Russian Dominant String Quartet. The large knowledgeable audience fully appreciated it.
You may also want to watch:
In Beethoven's Sting Quartet, Op 18 No 6, we got the best of mellow string-playing, which could yet become strong and brilliant when needed. This 'sunny' work contrasted sharply with Shostakovich's String Quartet No 12 with its darker, more puzzling note requiring more diverse tones, delivered with perfect control.
When joined by the excellent Chinese pianist Megumi Fujita for Brahms' Piano Quintet in F Minor, perhaps the quintet struggled to repeat the perfect ensemble of the quartet.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 3 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
However, it mattered little as the full, rich sound with its lyrical, sad and tender moments entranced the audience.