What’s on Wayne: What’s your favourite IMAX movie?
- Credit: PA
Wow, if you think Max is mad now wait until he hears Ipswich Cineworld-goers have voted Jurassic World their ultimate IMAX film over Fury Road.
It - along with Fury Road and Gravity - will return to the cinema this Saturday for the first-ever IMAX Film Festival. As a special exclusive, popular demand has resulted in The Martian also being screened in IMAX for the first time ever in the UK.
Jurassic World, starring Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard; got the velociraptor’s share of the votes (22%). Sandra Bullock’s space epic Gravity touched down second with 7% with the Tom Hardy vehicle (sorry) Fury Road close with 6%.
“It’s no surprise Jurassic World has been chosen as the film the people of Ipswich would most love to bring back to the big screen in IMAX – it was one of the biggest films of 2015 and we know lots of people are dying to have a chance to see it in IMAX again,” says Sam Prior, general manager of the Ipswich multiplex.
“At £3 a ticket, there’s no excuse not to come down on February 27 and catch one of the IMAX classic films on the big screen again. We can guarantee you won’t be disappointed. Book tickets online now to secure your seat.”
The first IMAX movie I ever saw was Skyfall and I remember being blown away; almost quite literally as I was sat next to one of the speakers. My only regret walking out of Deadpool the other weekend was not watching it on the mega-screen.
The above movies only acccount for 35% of the vote. I’d love to know what movies the other 65% of you voted for? Me? I’d have chosen Star Wars The Force Awakens. No surprise there.
- 1 A14 closed in both directions near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 3 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 5 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 8 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 9 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 10 New base for Ipswich bin collection, recycling and street cleaning teams
I think the festival’s a great idea.I miss Cineworld’s special themed screenings; one of my best nights at the cinema was watching The Lost Boys on the big screen for the first time there a few years back surrounded by people mouthing the lines.
Andrew Cripps, IMAX president EMEA, says: “We are excited to partner with Cineworld on the first ever IMAX Film Festival. It’s not only a great way to allow fans to enjoy their favourite IMAX movies again, but also an opportunity to attract new audiences and let them experience these larger-than-life films through the immersive IMAX format for the first time.”
For more information or to book tickets visit www.cineworld.com/IMAX-film-fest. Share what film you’d like to see return to Cineworld; either on IMAX or as part of a classics season by tweeting @WhatsonWayne.