Worldwide: Grammy award winning band REM to split
ROCK legends REM - who performed a memorable gig at Ipswich’s Portman Road - are to split.
The Grammy award winning band have “decided to call it a day”, they announced on their website.
The group, comprising singer Michael Stipe, guitarist Peter Buck and bassist Mike Mills, released their debut album, Murmur, in 1983. Drummer Bill Berry was also in the group but left in 1997.
They performed an outstanding gig at Ipswich Town’s Portman Road, delighting thousands of fans, in July 2005.
The online message said the band members “walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished”.
You may also want to watch:
REM gained a great amount of their success in the 1990s, releasing back-to-back multi-platinum albums and enjoying hits like Losing My Religion and Everybody Hurts.
Their last album, Collapse Into Now, was released in March.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 3 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 4 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 5 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 6 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 7 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 8 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 9 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 10 'I miss him to bits' – Ipswich fundraiser for Alton Water teen deaths