Search

‘Big name’ acts wanted back at Spa Pavilion theatre in Felixstowe as it sets to reopen

PUBLISHED: 15:00 07 July 2015

Front – Cllr Geoff Holdcroft (left) with NRG Theatres’ chief executive, Ray Anderson, watched by (back – left to right) with NRG Theatres’ artist director, Vince Rayner, Cllr Andy Smith and Suffolk Coastal’s Leader, Cllr Ray Herring.

Photo: Paul Nixon

Front – Cllr Geoff Holdcroft (left) with NRG Theatres’ chief executive, Ray Anderson, watched by (back – left to right) with NRG Theatres’ artist director, Vince Rayner, Cllr Andy Smith and Suffolk Coastal’s Leader, Cllr Ray Herring. Photo: Paul Nixon

Paul Nixon Photography 01473430707 07904296577

Owners of a seaside theatre have extended the deadline for a consultation exercise to gain people’s views on how they would like to see the theatre develop.

It had been intended to close the month-long consultation on the Spa Pavilion at Felixstowe at the end of last month but NRG Theatres said the survey would now continue online until July 14 to enable as many people as possible to take part.

A company spokesman said it had received some “great feedback” since the theatre’s relaunch event.

The plan is to announce the results of the consultation in August.

“We have already received 250 completed questionnaires, with overwhelming support for the return of big names and proper theatre to Felixstowe,” said the spokesman.

NRG has said that all options are open, but the management team is clearly looking at the possibility of extending the building – perhaps adding a 200-seat studio or community theatre space to the current auditorium for smaller, more intimate shows, or even putting in a second tier of seating to create a 2,000-
seat venue in order to attract big names from TV and music.

One of the initial projects could see the current restaurant turned into a café and bar, with the old kiosks on the ground floor become a new restaurant.

The spokesman said: “We have been working furiously behind the scenes on our planning.

“Our first season of shows will start later in the year, perhaps as early as October depending on how we get 
on with the refurbishment.

“We also have a brand new website, a new logo and 
will have on-line booking for our events up and running 
by the end of July. We are 
just finalising the interface of the payments systems 
and software.”

NRG has already announced that the Dennis Lowe Theatre Company will present a Christmas panto.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star