Blooming marvels – remembering flower shows around Suffolk
- Credit: John Kerr/Archant
Flower shows are among East Anglia’s most popular events – celebrating our area’s rich horticultural heritage.
Today, we are looking back at some of Suffolk’s floral events over the years - with all kinds of colourful blooms taking centre stage, together with prize fruit and veg.
Benhall, near Saxmundham, has regularly staged a popular flower show and fete over the years.
The first-ever Benhall and Sternfield Memorial Flower Show was held in 1946, welcoming home members of the Armed Forces.
The event was cancelled last year because of Covid-19, but hopes to mark its 75th anniversary this summer.
You may also want to watch:
Also featured in our Days Gone By gallery are Felixstowe’s Fuchsia Show and events in Ipswich, Grundisburgh and Knodishall.
Do these photos bring back memories? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
To order photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Heartbreak for owners as puppy Storm loses battle for life
- 2 Suffolk man distributed indecent images of children on messaging app
- 3 Mouldy scone leads to bakery firm being fined £9k for hygiene breaches
- 4 New 60-acre logistics park set to create 1,500 new jobs
- 5 Plea to help owners of tiny puppy Storm with £8k vet's bills
- 6 Road changes outlined to make way for hundreds of new homes at resort
- 7 Tributes to Scout leader who was 'life of the party' after death aged 69
- 8 A12 re-opens following serious three-vehicle crash
- 9 Let's use Ipswich Corn Exchange as a vaccination centre
- 10 Man dies following collision on A12