Did you dare to try a skydive in the 1970s to 1990s?
- Credit: Archant
Have you ever dared to do a parachute jump - or cheered on a skydiving friend or family member?
Today we are looking back at parachute jumps at Ipswich Airport and around Suffolk and north Essex in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.
Often the skydivers were raising money for charity at these events, as well as enjoying themselves.
Some of the pictures in this Days Gone By gallery were taken at the former Ipswich Airport, where UK Parachuting, then known as Ipswich Parachute Centre, ran weekly jumps.
The airport also ran competitions with entrants keen to be crowned Suffolk’s best skydiver.
Ipswich Airport finally closed in 1997, and UK Parachuting now has a centre at Beccles Airfield.
If these skydive photos bring back memories, email email@example.com or write to: Judy Rimmer, Archant, Ip-City Centre, 1 Bath Street, Ipswich, IP2 8SD.
To order copies of photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Emergency road closure in place on busy Ipswich road
- 2 Family's Christmas lights tribute to Jessica, 28, who died after giving birth
- 3 Will 'traditional' new homes at Ipswich Garden Suburb soon be obsolete?
- 4 Snow falls over Suffolk and more sub-zero temperatures to come
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 7 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 8 Drunk woman attacked former partner with knife
- 9 Surprise snowglobe gift leaves Harvey, 4, 'over the moon'
- 10 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice