How the Orwell Bridge took shape - seen from Thames barge
- Credit: Simon Benton
Do you remember when the Orwell Bridge was constructed? Simon Benton got a close-up view during a barge holiday, as his colour photos show.
Building work on the Ipswich landmark started in 1979, and it opened to traffic in 1982.
Mr Benton, of Felixstowe, said: "I took these photos when my family chartered the Thames sailing barge Ena, with friends, for a sail around to the Blackwater in 1981.
"We also sailed along the Orwell and under the Orwell Bridge, which was very impressive. I was fascinated to see it being constructed."
He also remembers seeing an advert for Yorkie bars filmed on the Orwell Bridge before it was completed. "We didn't actually see it being filmed, but it must have been around the same time," he said.
The holiday was all the more special because the group was on board the SB Ena, a famous barge which was constructed in Harwich in 1906 and owned by R & W Paul Ltd.
The barge served in the First World War and was one of the Dunkirk Little Ships.
- 1 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 2 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 3 Two arrests made following stabbing
- 4 'We're lucky to get her back' - Drone finds missing Pinky after 17 days
- 5 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 6 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 7 Serving police officer appears in court over alleged misconduct offence
- 8 New Venezuelan restaurant to bring fusion of flavour to Ipswich
- 9 Baby Elsie in ship-shape despite dramatic birth in car at Sutton Hoo
- 10 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
Mr Benton's late dad, Eric Benton, former headmaster of Gorseland School at Martlesham Heath, was at the helm for the holiday.
Simon said both his dad and his late mum, Mary Benton, who taught at the nursery at Fairfield Infants School, loved sailing and being on the water.
"We loved the Ena and my parents hired her for parties from time to time."
Sadly, he said, the historic sailing barge is now laid up at Hoo on the River Medway.
What are your memories of the construction and opening of the Orwell Bridge or of Thames barge Ena? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have photos you would like to share, please include a caption with full names, the name of photographer and name of copyright owner.