About 600 homes are set to be built off Humber Doucy Lane in north Ipswich - and residents are being asked about their thoughts on the development.

Barratt Developments and Hopkins Homes are drawing up a masterplan for the land - which stretches from Tuddenham Road, past the Ipswich Rugby Club towards Rushmere Road.

About 70% of the site is within the borough of Ipswich with the remaining 30% in the East Suffolk district.

Both councils have allocated the land for residential development in their local plans - but Ipswich Council's portfolio holder for planning Carole Jones said the area was not expected to be developed for some time.

Ipswich Star: Councillor Carole Jones Councillor Carole Jones (Image: Archant)

She said: "I know it's allocated for housing in our local plans - but not until the end of the period, looking at 2030 or beyond. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens until 2035."

The site is a total of 82 acres and was sold to Barratt Developments and Hopkins Homes earlier in the year for £18m. Barratt is expected to develop many of their homes through its David Wilson Homes subsidiary.

The two developers are holding a public information meeting about the plan at Rushmere St Andrew Village Hall on Humber Doucy Lane on Monday, October 30, from 3pm to 7pm.

They have produced a leaflet that has been distributed to households near the planned development.

One local resident said: "It's the first most of us around here have heard about it. It is clearly at a very early stage but I think a lot of people will be going along to the exhibition, I know a lot of people here are talking about it."

Matt Ward, land and planning director at Hopkins Homes, said: “We are pleased to launch this consultation on plans to deliver much needed homes on Land to the East of Humber Doucy Lane.

"The site offers a highly sustainable location and will allow for the delivery of high-quality open space and green infrastructure and community facilities.

"Allocated by both Ipswich Borough and East Suffolk councils, we believe this site is ideally placed to deliver the new homes and public spaces that the community needs.

"Hopkins Homes and Barratt David Wilson Homes are committed to working with the local community to create a development which is inclusive and responsive to the needs of the local area and look forward to meeting residents at our upcoming events.”

The site would be a natural extension to the Ipswich Garden Suburb - or northern fringe - which will see between 3,000 and 3,500 homes built between Henley Road and Tuddenham Road over the next decade.

Ipswich Star: Work started on Crest Nicholson's Henley Gate - the first phase of the Ipswich Garden Suburb - last year.Work started on Crest Nicholson's Henley Gate - the first phase of the Ipswich Garden Suburb - last year. (Image: Paul Geater)

The first phase of that, Henley Gate, saw work start last year with the first homes being built by Crest Nicholson.

Other parts of the Garden Suburb are expected to start over the next few years but the whole development is not expected to be completed until the early 2030s which is when the Humber Doucy Lane project is likely to start.