An Ipswich man who caused "considerable trauma and emotional distress" for his victims has been jailed for burglary offences. 

John Smith, of Portman Road, was arrested and charged with two attempted burglaries that took place at properties in Henley Road overnight between February 3 and 4 last year. 

After admitting the attempted burglaries, Smith chose to work with the Operation Converter team and had a further eight other offences taking into consideration. 

Operation Converter is an initiative aimed at encouraging offenders to admit to further crimes.

Ipswich Star: Smith, of Portman Road, was jailedSmith, of Portman Road, was jailed (Image: Suffolk police)

Offenders have to give sufficient detail for officers to be sure they have committed the crime and these offences are 'taken into consideration' at sentencing. 

The other offences included two burglaries in October at properties in Henley Road, one in Dalton Road in September, one on Greenways Close in September, one in North Close in September, one in Burlington Road in September, an incident of theft at a store in London Road in August and a burglary in Henniker Road in October. 

Items including jewellery, watches and antiques were stolen in these incidents. 

Smith, 34, appeared at Ipswich Crown Court on Thursday and was sentenced to 27 months in prison. 

Det Sgt Nathan Hails, of Suffolk police, said: "Smith's criminal actions caused considerable trauma and emotional distress for his victims who returned to their homes to find their homes violated by his actions leaving widespread damage to doors, garages and windows.

"This is another example of if we can secure the evidence we will prosecute burglars and put them before the courts to face the consequences of their actions."

DC Barry Simpson of the Op Converter team said: "Smith wished to assist us to provide closure for the victims of his crimes and to apologise in the form of a restorative letter to them.

"Detectives will now be able to update victims of all the burglaries to reassure them that they were not specifically targeted and that the person responsible has received over two years imprisonment."