Ipswich Hospital patients thanked by ESNEFT after strikes

East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust (ESNEFT) has thanked patients after recent strikes <i>(Image: Newsquest)</i>
East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust (ESNEFT) has thanked patients after recent strikes (Image: Newsquest)
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

The trust running Ipswich Hospital has thanked patients after a round of strikes from resident doctors saw disruption. 

East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust (ESNEFT), which also runs Colchester Hospital, said that it had kept cancellations to "a very small number" over the course of the industrial action.

Strike action from resident doctors, previously known as junior doctors, started at 7am on Friday, July 25 and came to a close on Wednesday. 

East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust (ESNEFT), which also runs Colchester Hospital, said our patients who will pay the price for this industrial actionESNEFT previously said it is patients who pay the price for industrial action (Image: Newsquest) Ahead of the strikes, ESNEFT had warned patients about possible disruption and asked them to attend appointments regardless. 

As the strikes came to a close, ESNEFT chief executive Nick Hulme said: “Thank you to our patients and visitors for their patience and for continuing to attend their appointments.

ESNEFT chief executive Nick HulmeESNEFT chief executive Nick Hulme (Image: ESNEFT)

"We managed to keep cancelled operations to a very small number and these are being rescheduled for as soon as possible.

“Patient safety is our priority and I would like to thank our staff who have made sure that our patients were safe during this time, while showing kindness and respect to their colleagues, whatever decision they had taken about industrial action." 

Health Secretary Wes StreetingHealth Secretary Wes Streeting (Image: PA Media)

The strikes were organised by the British Medial Association (BMA) - calling for better pay for resident doctors as they say their wages in real terms have not risen since 2008.

Talks had been held before the strike with the Health Secretary Wes Streeting on the day before the strikes, but failed to avoid action. 

In a letter posted this week to BMA resident doctors committee co-chairs Dr Ross Nieuwoudt and Dr Melissa Ryan, Mr Streeting said: “The consequences of your strike action have been a detrimental impact on patients, your members, your colleagues and the NHS, which might have been worse were it not for the considerable efforts of NHS leaders and front-line staff who stepped up."

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos