A12 stretch branded Britain's worst road
PART of the Ipswich to London A12 was today branded as the worst road in Britain.The stretch between Colchester and Braintree is said to hold that dubious honour amid accusations of potholes and regular closures due to round-the-clock roadworks.
PART of the Ipswich to London A12 was today branded as the worst road in Britain.
The stretch between Colchester and Braintree is said to hold that dubious honour amid accusations of potholes and regular closures due to round-the-clock roadworks.
Its place in the league table came after a survey of 4,000 drivers was conducted by insurance company Cornhill Direct.
The next-worst road was the M8 between Glasgow and Edinburgh, followed by the A30 near Bodmin in Cornwall.
Cornhill Direct spokesman Mark Bishop said: "Potholes and uneven surfaces can be a contributory factor in road accidents. As a road safety measure, local authorities should act quickly to repair damaged roads.
"Industry experts have estimated that up to ten per cent of accident claims are the result of poor road surfaces."
- 1 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 2 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 3 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 4 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 7 5 places to spot celebrities in Suffolk
- 8 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 9 Do you recognise these old Tolly Cobbold pubs?
- 10 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
N What do you think is the worst road in Suffolk? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send an e-mail to email@example.com