A14 death crash inquiry begins
AN investigation is under way today after two pedestrians died after a collision with a car on the A12 in Suffolk.The crash involving a Renault and the two pedestrians, believed to be an elderly couple, happened just before 6pm last night at Darsham near Yoxford.
AN investigation is under way today after an elderly couple died after they were in collision with a car as they crossed part of the A12 in Suffolk.
The crash, involving a Renault car, happened just before 6pm last night at Darsham near Yoxford.
It is thought the couple, who were aged in their 80s, had just got off a train at Darsham station and were crossing the road to get to a car park when the accident happened.
Emergency services pronounced the man dead at the scene while the woman died later after being airlifted to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.
You may also want to watch:
A woman who was driving the Renault was unhurt in the accident and was thought to be coming home from a job in Halesworth where she worked as a nanny.
Chris Gallington, who lives in Main Road, Darsham, next to where the accident happened, said he heard a bang. He said: “I was sitting in my house and heard a bang. I didn't think anything of it because it is so busy out here. It wasn't until my son went out 20 minutes later that I realised what had happened.”
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 5 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
Mr Gallington, whose house was used to interview and comfort the driver of the Renault, said he had never seen an accident like this on the road before.
He said: “Since the speed restrictions were put in we hoped it would be better. It is a very dangerous crossing but there hasn't been an accident out here for some time and not as bad as this.”
A spokesman for the Suffolk Constabulary said: “A road traffic collision occurred on the A12 at Darsham between a Renault car and two pedestrians. One of the pedestrians was pronounced dead at the scene.”
He confirmed a female died in hospital as a result of her injuries.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire Service said three crews were sent to the scene and an East of England Ambulance spokeswoman said two ambulances attended, along with two first responder cars.
The deaths bring the number of people killed on the county's roads this year to 45, nine more than in the whole of 2005.
Anyone with any information about the Darsham accident should call Suffolk police on 01473 613500.