A14 Orwell Bridge to stay open today as region deals with aftermath of Storm Doris
The A14 Orwell Bridge will remain open today as Storm Doris looks to have passed - but it was a busy night for the emergency services as they dealt with the aftermath.
Yesterday between 7am and midnight Suffolk police received more than 800 emergency calls, up from its daily average of around 230.
A spokesman said: “You are talking about an additional 600 999 calls there.
“It is hard to break down the figures but the majority of extra calls are going to be weather related.
“We had a very busy day yesterday.”
You may also want to watch:
High winds caused chaos on the region’s roads yesterday with trees, telephone and electrical poles and debris blocking routes throughout Suffolk and Essex.
The Orwell Bridge was closed to traffic for most of the day causing severe congestion through Ipswich.
- 1 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 2 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
This morning a spokesman for Highways England said the bridge would stay open today.
“As I understand wind speeds have dropped and are below the 50mph mark we usually use as a cut off,” he said.
“The bridge will remain open today.
“It looks like Storm Doris has passed.”
Essex Fire and Rescue service say they dealt with more than 120 weather related incidents by 10pm last night.
Some homes are still without power this morning as UK Power Networks try to repair the damage caused by the high winds.
Beccles Free School will be closed today due to a power cut.
The MET Office says despite a cold start to the day with a few isolated showers, we are in for a fine day with a maximum temperature of 8C (46F).