All lines now open at Ipswich Station after work to repair ‘defective track’
- Credit: Archant
Rail services are now running from all platforms at Ipswich Station following earlier work to repair a ‘broken rail’ on the main line.
A spokesperson for Network Rail said part of the rail had broken, however the cause has not yet been confirmed.
Some rail services through Ipswich and Suffolk were cancelled or delayed at short notice as a result.
All lines are now operating, after the main line was reopened soon after 10am, however some residual delays are expected.
Platform 2 at Ipswich Station was closed due to ‘defective track in the platform’, according to service operator Abellio Greater Anglia, causing disruption to services.
Among those that were cancelled were the 6.15am Colchester to Ipswich service. Both the 6.29am and the 6.52am services from Ipswich to London Liverpool Street were started at Colchester and did not call at Ipswich or Manningtree, while the 7.03am Stowmarket to London Liverpool Street service didn’t call at Ipswich. as scheduled.
Service operator Abellio Greater Anglia warned that disruption was expected until 11am this morning, and services were scheduled from other platforms where possible.
- 1 Man 'punched and slashed' in serious assault in car park at Ipswich B&M
- 2 Ellie uses 4 tonne truck to make impressive entrance at school prom
- 3 Ipswich firm admits mis-selling foam loft insulation to Suffolk customers
- 4 'Fantastic opportunity' as Ipswich's Thomas Wolsey pub listed for sale
- 5 New restaurant could be coming to the Waterfront, but theatre plans dropped
- 6 Road closed after crash leaves pedestrian injured and vehicle in ditch
- 7 23-year-old Felixstowe woman pleads guilty to assault
- 8 5 award-winning restaurants in and around Ipswich you need to visit
- 9 Burger van owner's anger after thieves steal food from trailer in Ipswich
- 10 Search ongoing for 29-year-old Suffolk man missing for three weeks
Train services between Ipswich and Liverpool Street, Ipswich and Norwich, Ipswich and Cambridge, Ipswich and Felixstowe, Ipswich and Lowestoft and Ipswich and Peterborough were subject to delays, cancellation, short notice alteration and platform alterations as a result.
Customers with off peak tickets were able to travel from Ipswich on the 8.43am service from Ipswich to London Liverpool Street.
A Network Rail spokesperson said: “Lines are now open following the discovery of a broken rail at Ipswich station this morning.
“We apologise to those whose journeys were affected by this.”