Allegations that son set light to house
DEPRESSED Ipswich teenager Andrew Haines started a fire at his family home in reaction to his mother's attempted suicide, a court heard.The 19-year-old appeared the town's magistrates where he admitted criminal damage by fire following a blaze at his mother's Kingfisher Avenue council house.
DEPRESSED Ipswich teenager, Andrew Haines, started a fire at his family home in reaction to his mother's attempted suicide, a court heard.
The 19-year-old appeared before the town's magistrates where he admitted criminal damage by fire following a blaze at his mother's Kingfisher Avenue council house.
The court heard Haines was staying with friends on the same street while his mother was receiving treatment at St Clement's Hospital after drinking bottle of bleach.
Upset, he started a small fire in the same room, before telling friends what he had done, said James Terry, prosecuting. He also told of his intentions to harm himself, said Mr Terry.
You may also want to watch:
The court heard, in mitigation, Haines reacted badly after visiting his mother.
He pulled the doors of the kitchen units and set fire to newspaper on the floor.
- 1 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 2 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 3 Work to start on 150 new Ipswich council homes next year
- 4 Family concerned after 15-year-old girl reported missing from Ipswich
- 5 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 6 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: Burglar, dangerous driver and drug dealer put behind bars
- 8 The 10 most Instagrammable spots in Ipswich - is your favourite on the list?
- 9 See inside 5 of the most expensive dream homes in Ipswich
- 10 New homes and dormitory block planned for Ipswich school site
Magistrates were told the teenager made a full and frank admission in a police interview.
Reports were ordered before Haines is sentenced at South East Suffolk Magistrates Court on June 25.
Two fire engines attended the blaze on May 30 which took 18 minutes to bring under control.