Alleged teen rape victim gets specialist help
A TEENAGER who was allegedly raped is getting top quality help from a specialist police squad to help her recover from her terrifying ordeal.
FELIXSTOWE: A teenager who was allegedly raped is getting top quality help from a specialist police squad to help her recover from her terrifying ordeal.
The 16-year-old Felixstowe girl has been linked up with an officer from a highly-trained team dedicated to dealing with rape and sexual assault.
The Operation Gemini officer will give the girl all the help she needs over the next few months - including arranging counselling and care depending on her needs - and will stay close by right up to and through the court case ahead.
A Suffolk police spokeswoman said: “The officers involved with Operation Gemini are specially trained to deal with victims of rape and other sexual offences.
“The victim has an officer allocated to look after her through the whole process providing all the advice and help needed.”
Since last year, Suffolk police have introduced six dedicated rape investigators, based in Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds and Lowestoft.
- 1 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 2 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 3 Company fined £12,000 for repeatedly failing to clear Ipswich flat's waste
- 4 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 5 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 6 Food review: ‘The Botanist in Ipswich lives up to the hype’
- 7 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 8 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 9 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 10 Cyclist injured after colliding with car in busy Ipswich road
Police previously said the girl was allegedly raped in the early hours of New Year's Day at a house in Holland Road.
Four men have been arrested and charged with rape - Aivaras Urbonas, 24, of Beach Road West, Felixstowe, Mickevicius Mindaugas, 30, of Holland Road, Felixstowe, Edgaras Sliburis, 19, of Peterhead in Scotland and Kestutis Jaraminas, 21, of Maiden Street, Peterhead, were all remanded in custody.
None of the four entered a plea and will next appear at a preliminary hearing at Ipswich Crown Court on January 14.
Two other men who were arrested, aged 20 and 22, have been bailed to return to Ipswich Police Station.
Police are also trying to trace a man who found the girl near Bent Hill and led her to a police officer. The man - or anyone who knows who he is - should get in touch with police by calling 01473 613500.