Anger over future of pub
Residents of one of the town's oldest pubs have been left shocked after discovering that it could be transformed into a sports bar.
IPSWICH: Residents of one of the town's oldest pubs have been left shocked after discovering that it could be transformed into a sports bar.
Carol Thompson was landlady of the Old Bell Inn in Stoke Street for over 15 years before it was closed down in 2005 and was asked to remain living on the property with her husband.
Since closing the pub, Andy Thompson and his wife have maintained and watched over the property.
Last week, The Evening Star revealed that developers are looking to carry out a major refurbishment and expansion of the grade II-listed property which could see it become a two-storey sports bar.
However, Mr Thompson has now revealed that he has not been informed of any development plans which could see the couple become homeless.
He said: “We didn't know anything about the plans until we read it in the paper, we were not told a word.
- 1 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 3 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 4 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 5 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 6 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 7 Take a look inside new Ipswich restaurant that makes pizza the 'proper way'
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Is Ipswich really England's oldest town? Experts give their view
- 10 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
“Personally I think that the idea of turning it into a sports bar is a disgrace because this is one of the town's oldest pubs and that is what it should remain as.
“To turn this historical pub into a sports bar would mean that it would lose its culture - something has to be done because it is falling into disrepair but definitely not this.”
The Old Bell Inn dates from the 16th century and was a regular stopping place for carriers and farm carts on their way across Stoke Bridge into town.
Should the Old Bell Inn should become a sports bar? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com