Appeal to help bomb victims' families

TODAY The Evening Star is launching an appeal fund for the Ipswich victims of last week's bombing atrocities in London.We are kicking off a fund in support of the victims families' with the belief the most effective way of beating evil is to meet it head on with community spirit.

TODAY The Evening Star is launching an appeal fund for the Ipswich victims of last week's bombing atrocities in London.

We are kicking off a fund in support of the victims families' with the belief the most effective way of beating evil is to meet it head on with community spirit.

The Ipswich Victims' Support Fund gives you - the people of Suffolk - the chance to rally together and show your support for those most directly affected by the terrorist attacks.

By sending in donations and organising fundraising events you can help us make a difference for the families.

Evening Star editor Nigel Pickover said: "The reason we have decided to launch this fund is the very best way to fight against evil and terrorism, and those who want to capitalise on the tensions that arose out of these attacks, is to stick together.

"We want to act as a galvanised force for the good in what are difficult times and we are calling on the good people of Suffolk to help."

Most Read

Missing from Ipswich after the London bombings are Richard Gray, 41, and Richard Ellery, 21.

The families of both men have failed to hear from them since they travelled to London last Thursday.

First to respond to the Ipswich Victims' Memorial Fund appeal are Suffolk businessman Graeme Kalbraier and Paul Clement, from the Ipswich Partnership.

Mr Kalbraier, managing director of Call Connection, has pledged £5,000 to start the Star's appeal.

Speaking from Red Square, Moscow, he said: "Today I'm pledging to launch The Evening Star's fund with another £5,000 donation.

"I've been appalled and horrified at the events in our capital city and pleased that it appears the authorities are making swift progress.

"I hope this fund is most successful and I believe the businesses of Ipswich will support it whole-heartedly."

The Ipswich Partnership is dedicating a family fun day in the town next Sunday to raise funds for the appeal.

Director Paul Clement, currently in France, said: "I believe this fund is most appropriate and the Partnership will back it in any way we can.

"The first thing we can do is dedicate our IpswicHotspot Family Day to the cause."

Also supporting the appeal is the Suffolk Bangladeshi community.

Mahbub Alam Shamim, representing the Bangladeshi Muslim community in Ipswich, said: "We'll be doing all we can to help this fund, with charity nights in our restaurants and among our businesses.

"We have been appalled at the events in London and want to help in any way we can. Already businesses in Felixstowe, Woodbridge, Stowmarket and Ipswich have signed up to take part."

Ipswich mayor Bill Wright said he wanted to be the first to sign up to support the fund.

He said: "I know a lot of people would like to show their support for such a fund."

Ipswich MP Chris Mole also backed the idea of a memorial fund. He said: "Obviously anything would need the backing of the family, but it would help to mark the close links many people in the town feel with London."

The county council also backed the idea, with council leader Jeremy Pembroke pledging to do all he could to help.

Do you want to help? If you would like to send a donation to the appeal, make a cheque payable to The Evening Star's Ipswich Victims' Support Fund and send it to Ipswich Victims' Support Fund, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4 1AN.

We also want you to write to us about events you are organising to support the appeal.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter