Appeals after Suffolk hit-and-run
A WOMAN is fighting for her life in hospital after a horrific hit-and-run crash in Bury St Edmunds.
A WOMAN is fighting for her life in hospital today after a hit-and-run crash in Bury St Edmunds.
Police have launched a major search for the van involved after the driver failed to stop to help the victim, who had been walking with a friend.
The incident happened just before 6.30pm yesterday when the woman, in her 70s, was crossing Out Northgate, near to the junction with Station Hill. She was in collision with the vehicle, which was then seen driving off in the direction of the Mildenhall Estate.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said: “The woman has been taken to the West Suffolk Hospital where her condition is described as critical.
“Police are appealing for the driver of the vehicle to come forward. The vehicle is described as a small car-derived van which may be dark in colour. Police also want to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the collision or seen the van in the area around the time of the collision.
“The vehicle may have been damaged in the incident and anyone who may have seen a van with damage around the area is also urged to call police.”
- 1 'From one family business to another' - Cattermole's changes hands
- 2 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 3 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 4 46-year-old man who died in Great Bealings crash named
- 5 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 6 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 7 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 8 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 9 Burglar caught by family in 'bear hug' jailed for four years
- 10 Overturned vehicle partially blocking road near Ipswich
A friend was with the woman at the time of the collision but although described as extremely shaken, was not hurt
Anyone with information is urged to contact Pc Mick Marlow at Bury St Edmunds Roads Policing Unit on 01473 613500.