Archer's disgust at first meal
DISGRACED peer Jeffrey Archer threw his first meal at his new prison into the bin, it has been claimed.Archer arrived at Hollesley Bay Prison, near Woodbridge, on Thursday afternoon after leaving Lincoln jail, where he had been sent for attending a party during a home visit.
DISGRACED peer Jeffrey Archer threw his first meal at his new prison into the bin, it has been claimed.
Archer arrived at Hollesley Bay Prison, near Woodbridge, on Thursday afternoon after leaving Lincoln jail, where he had been sent for attending a party during a home visit.
Inmates at the open prison said Archer had been given a sausage roll and jacket potato for his dinner on Thursday night.
A small group of inmates, who stopped to talk in the grounds of Hollesley Bay, claimed Archer asked when he was given the meal: "Is that it?"
He then said "where's the bin?" and threw his dinner into it. The inmates claimed he then went back to making a telephone call.
Some prisoners said there was a feeling of anger around the site that Archer had regained his category D status so soon after attending the party held by former Tory colleague Gillian Shephard.
- 1 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 2 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 5 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 6 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 7 Do you recognise these old Tolly Cobbold pubs?
- 8 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 9 Three-home development for former Thornbank care home
- 10 New 'grab and go' vegan café on Ipswich Waterfront set to open in spring
The millionaire novelist is expected to serve the rest of his sentence at the Suffolk jail. But prison sources said unlike Archer's previous stay at North Sea Camp open jail in Lincolnshire, he will not be allowed to work outside the site.
Jail chiefs are keen to avoid a repeat of the embarrassing scenes when Archer was seen around Lincoln dining in fine restaurants during lunchbreaks from his backstage job at the Theatre Royal.
n Police are still hunting a 21-year-old Hollesley Bay Prison inmate who absconded on Thursday after going to Ipswich Hospital.
Patrick O'Brien went to the hospital for an X-ray at about 4.15pm and was discovered missing at 7.45pm.
He had been sentenced to three years in a young offenders' institution by Snaresbrook Crown Court in January for a number of offences, including robbery.
O'Brien, who was living in London when he was jailed, is described as white, 5ft 8in tall, of medium build, with brown hair, sideburns, blue eyes and a fair complexion.
Police said O'Brien was considered violent and appealed to anyone who sees him to contact them immediately by dialling 999.