A CLEAR-UP operation is underway today after an armchair caught fire in a Suffolk flat.The blaze at the flat above a butcher's shop in Needham Market is believed to have started when a chair was placed too near to a night storage heater.
A CLEAR-UP operation is underway today after an armchair caught fire in a Suffolk flat.
The blaze at the flat above a butcher's shop in Needham Market is believed to have started when a chair was placed too near to a night storage heater.
Fire crews and paramedics were called to the fire in the High Street at around 3.20pm yesterday.
The woman who lived in the flat and the male occupant at the flat above her both escaped injury but were treated by fire crews and paramedics at the scene for smoke inhalation.
You may also want to watch:
Carl Francis, Assistant Divisional Officer at Suffolk Fire Service said that although the actual fire had been limited to just one square metre of the flat, the rest of the premises had suffered severe heat and smoke damage.
He said: "There was quite substantial damage to the living room where the fire started.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 5 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 6 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 7 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
- 8 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 9 Man accused of burgling GP surgeries and pharmacy appears in court
- 10 Stroke survivor cut off from family in lockdown returns home
"They (night storage heaters) do get very hot and really nothing should be placed too close to or against them."
Mr Francis said the woman was in another room to where the blaze started before going into the living room and spotting the fire.
She phoned the fire brigade and alerted the man living upstairs and both were able to leave the building.